Thursday 21 April 2011

Thursday Thoughts - Rolling Paper or Toilet Paper

Around this time last year I found myself chilling to the sounds of Wiz Khalifa's "OJ & Kush" and even a few times engaging in that "Taylor Gang" lifestyle. I even woke up extra early, the day his tickets were going on sale to make sure I got one.


He followed up with "Black and Yellow" which increased the anticipation of the album, then the bootleggers got it a week or two before it's official release and the report was negative, I thought I would hold out and purchase the cd like my partner Kwarmz. He then told me it was one of his worst purchases. I then proceeded to download (don't judge me)

I couldn't believe what my ears were hearing, it was a sound completely different to what I was expecting. That being said,  the album performed well commercially speaking as it came in at #2 on the Billboard Charts and in it's first weel shifting close to 200, 000 units off the back of a multi-platinum selling single. But as an original fan (well the first wave of OJ & Kush listeners) I feel like Wiz dissed me, I feel like an Everton fan when Rooney lifted his shirt after scoring and it had the message "once a blue, always a blue" then went to Manchester United the following season., as you do.

Before
After

Maybe I'm being over dramatic just a little, but hey thats how I feel and I guess with 'fans' like myself choosing to download, whereas 'die hard' fans since "Black and Yellow" would have been happy to hear the same sort of sound. Just happier, poppier and something that also ends with 'er' at the end.

I really do hope at Young Khalifa's show he doesn't perform too many tracks off the album or it will be a long night., and an appearance from Amber wouldn't hurt nobody or maybe thats just wishful thinking.

Till then I'll keep playing the songs which made me a fan.

Shouts to my brother Nomes on the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment