Thursday 31 March 2011

Thursday Thoughts- Last Of A Dying Breed

Been a while, but we are back with another thought for this day of the week. While I unwisely think of adding to  my modest Lacoste collection and I can only dream of having  an assortment of  Jordan trainers, I do have quite an impressive CD album collection. Probably beat into me during my younger days, when I would  take a look at my father's hi-fi system and could easily see a Lionel Richie LP sandwiched between an ABBA, Take That or Barry White.  On any given day I could even see an Elton John CD on top of a Daddy Lumba disc. Can't even lie, that stuff is still kinda hard to this day, that Elton John Duets album is no joke, and the song with ladyboy RuPaul, I can remember hearing on countless journeys in the car, is a certifiable banger.

This is not a post about Elton and his Rocket Man exploits, but one asking the question, does anyone still buy albums any more?  My older brother used to bring new albums home on a weekly basis, as he got older, and I got a little bit of change, I took on the mantle and probably have contributed to the half of the CD collection currently gathering dust in my room.
All of the artist's here, have at least 2 album entries in my collection.


People have asked me many times, why I continue to shell out on CDs, when I can download them for free and even get them before they are supposed to come out, that's all fine and dandy for some but not for me. When  you downloaded Get Rich or Die Tryin', and burned the disc, when you hear the songs, they might take you back to when you wearing Akademiks or slapping down your hair with Freeze Gel, but the burned disc doesn't, the actual album does.

It's all about the memories, when I bought the disc, the tracklisting, the fashion, the thank you's, the popular producers and rappers at the time, all this can come flooding back when you just pick up the case, well for me anyway.

Also, I buy albums from the artists I respect and the albums I have been looking out for, like eagerly anticipating. That being said, if I don't buy an album, I won't download it, cos I feel if I really wanted to buy it, I would have.

Close up of the albums in heavy rotation.

Matty and Nate get on to me about another one of my rules, not listening to an album's second single or some of the tracks that will appear on the LP, this is because I want to hear as much fresh material as possible, rather than having heard half the album, so only listening to like 7 tracks for the first time isn't desirable for me.

I have more rules, but I will leave them out for now. Also a lot of people I know have tons of DVD's, like serious collections, which to me is similar to blowing a stack on albums. What's even worse with films, after one or two plays, you probably wont watch them again and the longer they sit on your shelf or are just in your room, the more your friends have a tendency to want to ask to 'lend them for a bit', only for you to not ever see or to be in possession that film again.
The dusty rack, these CDs NEVER get played. There are like 20 albums here.

I don't know, maybe I am weird, but wanting to support my favourite artists's is not a bad thing, you get details on where the song was recorded, who did what and looking at the cover can bring back a ton of memories, a DVD or burned disc for me , just can't do that.

Are you a buyer like me or a RapidShare beast?

1 comment: