Thursday 17 February 2011

Thursday Thoughts- MMG, What Happens Next?



Now that all the fuss of Monday has passed (although I did nothing) it's time to get back to doing what I do. To pass time I have found myself (whilst not working, studying or making trips around the capital) getting highly gassed of what could be released from Maybach Music Group. As it stand's the head man "Roozzzaaaayyyyy" (I did mention i was gassed) has recruited DC spitter Wale. To me personally it's a very good addition to the squad as on Wale's debut, "Attention Deficit", I believe his craft wasn't exposed enough or respected enough. After dropping which Kwarmz claims to be the best mixtape of last year,   I do not beg to differ "More About Nothing" it got his buzz going and with that ear Rick Ross has for beat selection, it's looking like his next release will display his talents and may be a real problem to the scene.

Another signing is an up and coming artist from Philadelphia called Meek Mill. He featured on Ross' latest mixtape "Ashes To Ashes" on a track alongside Wale, he's definitely one to keep an eye out for real aggresive with a swag hopefully under the guidance of Ross he can molded into the finished article.



As it stands this ever growing imprint is caught up in the midst of a bidding war, labels such as Cash Money, Warner Brothers and Def Jam are trying to make MMG sign on their dotted lines.

I predict a bright 2011 for MMG, I just hope they can fulfill Wale's potential and push him to a strong first week sales and  an album that garners critical acclaim. As for Meek I hope he's given a platform to showcase his skills, and that in a few years his name cannot be grouped alongside Gage and Bishop Lamont. If you have never heard of Gage or Bishop Lamont then this is exactly what I'm talking about.

Until next time.

UPDATE: 19th Feb, It was announced that MMG has signed to Warner Bros. Good luck to them.

1 comment: