Thursday 10 September 2009

So Far Gone, Or Is He?




Undoubtedly one of the best things to come out of Canada besides Maple syrup and what ever else they are renowned for, he has the roads and Facebook statuses screaming “I just want to be successful” and the ladies feeling the light-skinned men again.

Drake is most definitely the man of the moment hands down, he’s got a mad buzz and is recognised as possibly as the future and front man of the new generation of the rap game.

Signed to Young Money where he’s under the wing of Wayne, its fair to say he is very much in the limelight but when your in the limelight the critics will always throw stones at you, that is why I ask is he “So Far Gone?”

I first became aware of Drake after a trip to America a few years back, my cousin showed me about a tv program called Degrassi. A Canadian show about the lives of a group of teenagers who lived on DeGrassi Street, whilst watching it I came across a light-skinned boy who was in a wheel chair after being shot. Based on his appearance I thought he was a wasteman (anyone who watched the show would know what I'm on about). A couple years later my cousin showed me about Drake formerly known as Jimmy, an actor turned rapper who dropped a mixtape that I should really listen to, my first thought was to myth her recommendation but it wouldn't kill me to listen.



I think it might be the best thing she has ever suggested to me in her life! Shouts to Aretha. After listening to his mixtape "Comeback Season" with tracks like "Barry Bonds Freestyle, Asthma Team Freestyle, Teach You A Lesson, Don't You Have A Man" just to name a few, these tracks showed lyrical capabilities, great promise and an artist that wasn't afraid to bear his soul through his music. Although I must say I wasn't really feeling his vocals but this did not deter me from following his movement.


"Don't You Have A Man"




The follow up to this was "So Far Gone", this mixtape is what gained Drake mainstream recognition as an artist and not as a rapper. "So Far Gone" illustrates growth and maturity in tracks such as "Say Whats Real", as he paints a picture of his career with uncompromising honesty, "So she wonder where my mind is accounts in the minus/ But yet I'm rolling round the fuckin city like your highness". Here the 22 year-old rapper is explaining how he and his mother were not seeing eye to eye on the matter of renting a Rolls Royce, despite finances not being so healthy. The LP also shows improved vocals on tracks such as "Night Off".

"Say Whats Real"




"Night Off ft. Lloyd"







Which artist has two video's released, off a free mixtape one of which was directed by Kanye West? The answer is Drake. In a nutshell this LP and the unprecedented buzz it has created has earned him the right to believe he is "So Far Gone".Although I feel he is not at the end of the tunnel, just yet.

Nu World what do you think, is Drake "So Far Gone?"

1 comment:

  1. Drizzy is a messed up light skinned boy....he aint so far gone yet...he's on the right path doe...he's even better than some that have been there since Pac & Biggie

    ReplyDelete