Thursday 10 September 2009

A Star Is Born?




















'Fuck scales, I had skills, all day rehearsing.'

Late I know, just went through all of this the other day. Impressed.

Interesting fact:Cole was born in Frankfurt but moved to North Carolina at the age of 1.

With honest, well-delivered lyrics, and a reflective yet cocksure persona, J Cole definitely has talent. Adding to his mic skills, behind the boards he is equally adept. His production reminds me, of a mix of college dropout Kanye and Soundtrakk (Lupe Fiasco). This mixtape is his second after the release of 'The Come Up'.
Despite being light-skinned and being backed by Jay-Z's Roc Nation, I don't see a large commerical following in the works anytime soon. This is because he is a lot more lyrical than musical, the opposite of Kid Cudi for instance. Not taking anything away from Scott Mescudi, he is just aware his strengths lie in his melodies.

Cole is a gifted musician, hopefully he secures a distribution deal, at the moment only managed by Roc Nation, I am pretty sure a Rock The Bells type crowd (think like hardcore Nas fans) can keep this guy in the game, under the radar but lyrically respected similar to that of Mr Kick, Push.

Listen closely, the mixtape has a bunch of quotables.



















My favourite tracks are 'Dreams', 'Get Up' and 'Lights Please'. A direct link for his mixtape was hard to find, Zshare were not having a bar.

As I said, J Cole is fresh out of Fayetteville, North Carolina. Hold tight my cousins Alex and Victoria from Raleigh. Got em! Aisha I see you out there going dumb in the Bay!

Enjoy the mixtape.

Blog Out.

1 comment: